My husband and I are still trying (and mostly failing) to eat vegan once a week, and we definitely have better weeks than others. This was a successful week. I was actually craving a meal without meat, so I’m counting that as a win! I enjoyed thinking through (and researching plenty of ideas for) this Thai-inspired vegan curry dish. While it’s pretty simple as a whole, it tasted delicious!
1 yellow onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 green bell pepper
2 sweet potatoes (cubed)
1 head of cauliflower (cut into bite-sized pieces)
3 13.66 oz cans of coconut milk
2 Tbsp basil
1.5 Tbsp brown sugar*
3 Tbsp red curry paste (I used Thai Kitchen)
Salt to taste
- Add onion, garlic, bell peppers and olive oil to a rondeau pan (or similar pan/pot) and start to sweat them down on medium high heat.
- After about 5-7 minutes, add the sweet potatoes.
- Add the cauliflower, coconut milk, basil, brown sugar, curry paste, and salt after another 2-3 minutes.
- Bring the coconut milk to an easy boil, and turn down the heat to medium. Cook until the cauliflower is tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and serve.
I served this curry over jasmine rice. It had a slight heat and the vegetables were awesome! This recipe made a lot of curry, so I plan to freeze some for another time. What a great meal to end the day with!
*Note: After some research, it turns out that not all brown sugar is vegan because some brown sugar is filtered through bone char. There are companies out there that do (apparently) make vegan brown sugar. To keep this recipe completely vegan, a vegan-friendly brown sugar brand should be used. I’m still counting this as a personal win but wanted to clarify.