Sometimes simplicity is key. Simple but wonderful seared scallops!
Olive Oil, enough to coat the entire pan/skillet
16 Large Sea Scallops
- Clean and wash scallops, making sure to remove the muscle on the side of each scallop.
- Pat the scallops as dry as possible to ensure a better sear.
- Add olive oil to pan and heat (the oil should sizzle if water hits it).
- Right before adding to the pan, season one side of the scallops with salt.
- Add scallops salted side down to the pan starting at “12 o’clock” of the pan and placing the scallops clockwise. Season the side facing up with salt.
- Sear the scallops for about a minute and a half* then flip the scallops. Sear the second side for a minute and a half.
- You know the scallops are finished when you have a golden, seared crust on each side but the scallops are still be translucent in the center.
*Please note that the sea scallops have not been sliced in half, as you will see at some restaurants. If the scallops are sliced in half, the sear time will be about thirty seconds per side.