This is the meal I missed the most when I had to go lactose-free. Recently (with the creation of the lactose-free “cheese” filling), I have gotten to enjoy it once again.
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
Lactose-free “Cheese” Filling (see earlier post)
Manicotti Pancakes/Shells Recipe:
1) Combine all ingredients, whisk well to form batter.
2) Prepare a can with oil (I usually use a crepe pan, but an omelet pan or pan of comparable size would work too). Heat to medium level heat.
3) Pour about 2 tablespoons of batter onto the middle of the pan and rotate pan to create a thin pancake. Flip the pancake once it shows signs of drying out (should be obvious along the edges). Cook for about 1o-20 seconds then remove from heat.
4) Repeat until all the batter is finished.
1) Mix Lactose-free “Cheese” Filling with two eggs.
1) Preheat oven to 400.
2) Lightly cover a baking pan with tomato sauce of choice (I like tomato basil).
3) Cup a pancake in one hand. Add about 2 tablespoons of filling. Fold each side over the filling and place manicotti in the baking pan. Repeat until out of cheese or pancakes.
4) Cover manicotti with a layer of tomato sauce.
5) Bake manicotti for about 20 minutes (the sauce should just be starting to bubble slightly).